Preventing dental issues is a whole lot easier than trying to treat them.
Why deal with cavities and gum disease when you can prevent them from happening in the first place? There are many things you can be doing to promote a healthier smile and our Midtown Manhattan, NY dentist Dr. Brandon Huang can help. Read on to find out what preventive dentistry is why it's important.
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry refers to the care you give your smile to prevent problems from occurring. Preventive dentistry includes:
- Brushing and flossing daily
- A healthy diet
- Visiting the dentist regularly
- Injury prevention (e.g. wearing sports mouthguards)
- Fluoride treatment
Skipping out on visiting your Midtown Manhattan general dentist twice a year or not flossing are surefire ways to increase your risk for cavities and gum disease. As you can see from the list above, preventive dentistry isn’t complicated and it could save you a lot of discomfort, stress and money.
How can you incorporate preventive dental care into your life?
We know that lives get hectic, but taking time out to care for your smile is important if you want to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Here are some habits you should adopt (if you haven’t already):
- Brush twice a day and floss daily
- Make sure to replace your toothbrush head every 3-4 months (or after being sick)
- Make sure to brush for at least 2-3 minutes (set a timer to keep you honest!)
- Eat a diet that is low in sugar and refined starches (e.g. white breads, pastas and desserts)
- Drink lots of water
- Limit snacking to reduce plaque buildup
- Use fluoride toothpaste to strengthen tooth enamel and reduce your risk for decay
- Visit your dentist twice a year for cleanings and exams
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports
- Using a night guard to protect teeth if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw
Whether you need to schedule your next dental cleaning in Midtown Manhattan, NY or you just want to chat about the different dental services we offer and how they can benefit your smile, don’t hesitate to reach out to New York Dental Studio. We are always happy to address all of your questions and concerns.