Posts for tag: Dental Veneers
Do you need veneers from your Midtown Manhattan, NY, dentist, Dr. Brandon Huang?
What are veneers?
Veneers are wafer-thin pieces of porcelain bonded on the surface of teeth. Your Midtown Manhattan dentist uses veneers to adjust patients' teeth color or shape.
The versatility of Porcelain Veneers
Veneers beautify your smile by providing good tooth color, shape, and proper alignment. Veneers can improve any of the following characteristics:
Color: Teeth become stained by foods and drinks, smoking, chewing tobacco and aging.
Size & Shape: Teeth become worn down from teeth grinding habits and naturally irregular-shaped teeth.
Alignment & Spacing: Veneers can close small gaps between teeth and/or make minor adjustments to correct tooth alignment.
Limitations of Veneers
Veneers aren't always the answer. You may need orthodontics because veneers can't be used to:
- Correct severely misaligned teeth
- Close large dental gaps
- Extreme tooth decay and decay
- Severe trauma due to an accident or tooth grinding
What does the procedure entail?
- We will examine your teeth and assess whether veneers are right for you. Before our dentist decides that you are a good candidate, he'll first have to deal with any underlying issues, like cavities.
- Some enamel will be removed from the surface of your teeth so that you won't feel like your teeth are protruding once the veneers are placed.
- An impression of your teeth will be taken and sent to a lab where a custom set of veneers matching the color of your teeth will be made.
- Your veneers will be cemented to the surface of your teeth.
What are the advantages of veneers?
- Veneers conceal a variety of issues, including teeth with uneven surfaces as well as teeth that are chipped, discolored, oddly shaped, or crooked
- They have great color stability
- They are highly resistant to permanent staining from coffee, tea, and smoking
- Veneers have a long life expectancy
How should I care for my veneers?
It's important to take proper care of your veneers for the sake of appearance and health. Here are a few tips:
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco
- Minimize the amount of coffee and tea you drink
- Brush your teeth twice a day while holding your brush at a 40-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach areas
- Floss at least once before bed to remove food debris
- Avoid dental-staining food, such as blueberries
- Visit your dentist twice a year for regular checkups and professional cleanings to remove hardened plaque
For more information on veneers, call Dr. Brandon Huang's Midtown Manhattan, NY, dental office at (212) 588-1809!